To deposit a check, follow these general steps:
- Endorse the check: Flip over the check and sign on the back. This verifies that you are the intended recipient and authorizes the bank to process the payment.
- Prepare the deposit slip (optional): Some banks may require a deposit slip to accompany the check deposit. If needed, fill out your account number, the date, and the total amount of the check deposit. You can usually find deposit slips near the bank's entrance or request them from a teller.
- Visit a bank branch or ATM: Locate the nearest branch of your bank or an ATM that accepts check deposits. If your bank has a mobile banking app, you may also be able to deposit the check remotely by taking a picture of both sides of the check.
- Fill out a deposit slip (if necessary): If you have a deposit slip, complete the required fields, including your account number, the amount of cash (if any), and the total amount of the check deposit. If depositing through an ATM or using a mobile banking app, you usually don't need a separate deposit slip.
- Insert the check: If using an ATM, follow the on-screen instructions to insert the check into the designated slot. Make sure it's facing the correct way as indicated.
- Verify the deposit information: Confirm that the ATM screen or mobile app displays accurate information about the check, such as the check amount. If there are any discrepancies, do not proceed with the deposit.
- Complete the deposit (ATM): Usually, the ATM will give you an option to deposit the check directly into your account. Make sure to confirm this selection and follow any additional prompts.
- Keep the check (ATM): After your deposit is complete, the ATM may return the check to you. Ensure that you retrieve it before leaving.
- Obtain a receipt (ATM or teller): If using an ATM, you will typically be given an option to print a receipt. Alternatively, if depositing with a teller at the bank branch, they will provide you with a deposit receipt.
- Verify the deposit (mobile banking app): If using a mobile banking app to deposit the check, review the confirmation details provided by the app to ensure accuracy.
- Keep the check in a safe place: After depositing the check, store it securely for a few weeks in case any issues arise.
It's important to note that specific instructions may vary depending on your bank and whether you are depositing through an ATM or using a mobile banking app.