The Upwork time tracker is a desktop application used to track the time spent on projects by freelancers working on Upwork. It ensures accurate time reporting and guarantees that clients are billed correctly for the work done.
Here's how the Upwork time tracker works:
- Installation: Freelancers download and install the time tracker from the Upwork website. It is available for both Windows and Mac operating systems.
- Setting up Projects: Once installed, freelancers can connect their Upwork account to the time tracker. They select the project they are working on and start the timer when they begin their work.
- Activity Reporting: The time tracker captures screenshots of the freelancer's desktop at random intervals, along with the number of keystrokes and mouse movement. These details provide proof of work and help clients verify that the freelancer is actively engaged in the project.
- Work Diaries: The time tracker automatically creates work diaries that record the freelancer's activities during each tracked session. The diary includes the time spent on the project, the number of keystrokes, and any notes the freelancer adds to describe the work performed.
- Privacy and Manual Activity Labeling: The time tracker considers privacy concerns and sensitive information. Freelancers have the option to manually label activities as "Private" to prevent them from being included in screenshots or work diaries.
- Manual Time Logging: In cases where the time tracker cannot record a freelancer's activity, they can manually log time for that specific period. However, manual time entries must provide accurate and honest reporting of work done.
- Tracker Settings: The time tracker allows freelancers to set preferences regarding screenshots, activity levels, and desktop monitoring. These settings can be adjusted to meet individual preferences.
- Monitoring and Payment: Clients can review all the time logs, screenshots, and work diaries on Upwork. They use this information to verify the work done and accurately pay the freelancer based on the tracked time.
It is important to note that the time tracker only monitors work done through Upwork. Freelancers must manually track time for work done outside of the platform. Additionally, it is against Upwork's terms of service to attempt to manipulate or falsify tracking data, as this undermines trust and can lead to account suspension.